Poshalicious Recipes: Easy Old Fashion Apple Crisp
Here is my fav go to dessert. It is ‘easy peasy’ and would be hard to mess it up. It is a great recipe for using apples that are past their prime. Last week, I made this with different types of apples that were getting wrinkly in the basket. It was delish!
It includes fruits and oats making it healthy(ish), but it is perfect served with vanilla ice cream. These days treating yourself is so important. As we all now have the time as the famous Nike slogan says, ‘Just Do it!
- 6 golden delicious apples, posted and chopped (apples can be any kind- I use 4 gala and 1 yellow and 1 red delicious)
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, diced into small cubes
- Pinch of fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Butter an 8x8 baking dish or spray with non-stick cooking spray- set aside
- In a mixing bowl, add chopped apples, granulated sugar, ¾ tsp. (If you prefer you can always add more) of the cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir to combine and then transfer to the baking dish
- In a separate mixing bowl, add topping ingredients (brown sugar, oats, flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, salt and diced cold butter).
Helpful hint- you can use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the oat mixture, using a slight downward twisting motion, until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Alternatively, you can use two forks or even you own hands - using fingers is fun, just remember to remove your rings (lol).
- Spread topping over apples in baking dish, and gently pat to even out.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbly
Serve warm and enjoy!